Sunday, April 8, 2012

Top 5 Songs of 2009

During the 2009-2010 school year, I, as a junior in college, discovered my current taste in music.  The Black Eyed Peas's "I gotta feeling" was a revelation to me.  Lame?  Shallow?  Maybe, but I don't care.  I only have 5 top songs here because I really wasn't keeping track back then.

Without further ado, here I try to rank my favorite 2009 songs, which is hard as it was 2.5-3 years ago . . .

1. Black Eyed Peas - "I gotta feeling" - No contest here.  Pure club/pop/dance magic.  BeP + David Guetta.  14 weeks on top of the Hot 100.  !!!!!   13+ million singles downloads.  The string/synth line holds it down while the song builds up several times to the verses and the epic chorus.  The song is so good that listing the days of the week actually works, and the call-and-response sections are great.

2. Miley Cyrus - "Party in the USA" - I couldn't resist it.  So catchy, and back then Miley was cute and not a wannabe Lindsay Lohan.

3. Keri Hilson - "Knock you down" (Ft. Ne-Yo & Kanye West) - This song makes it because I became obsessed with a remix on Newgrounds that I randomly stumbled into.  http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/249229.  I think the remix is better than the original since it is sped up and more dancey, and though the remix is billed as a "trance" song I don't consider it that.

4. Pitbull - "I know you want me" - Pit rocked that track.  The music video was too "sexy" for me to show my mom, for instance, but the actual song is so delightfully fun.  "One, two, three, four, uno, dos, tres, quatro," (with Pitbull's signature 'whoop' in the building).  So nice.

5. Boys Like Girls - "Love Drunk" - Kind of a throwback to my rock/pop/punk fare that tided me over in high school, I love the song but it's not really what I like anymore.

Honorable mentions:

Jay Sean - "Down" (Ft. Lil Wayne) - A good track, but too hard to rank since I didn't listen to the track until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment